Responsible offices shall:
- a. PRS or PRD to the Member of Congress on the appropriate letterhead and with the appropriate signature block in accordance with section 2 of this enclosure. Prepare the letter in accordance with Enclosure 8 of this Volume.
- b. Coordinate the reply with the offices listed in the CMD assignment instructions and with other organizations that may have an interest in or be affected by the response.
- (1) Provide copies to all coordinating offices so they may coordinate simultaneously.
- (2) Coordinate all correspondence addressed to Members of Congress with the ASD(LA).
- c. Forward the coordinated reply for signature through CMD using an Action Memorandum. Prepare the Action Memorandum in accordance with section 3 of Enclosure 7 of this Volume.
- d. Upon receipt of the signed reply from CMD:
- (1) Send RDC replies directly to the Member of Congress. Provide a copy to the ASD(LA) and a copy to CMD to close the suspense.
- (2) Address replies to congressional correspondence according to Table 5.
- (3) Provide a courtesy copy to the ranking member when sending correspondence to chairpersons of congressional committees or subcommittees.
- (4) Address a reply to a letter from a congressional staff member to the Member of Congress or the chair of the committee and mark the envelope to the attention of the staff member.
- (5) Mark the envelope to a particular person’s attention or address to a specific location (e.g., a home State congressional office) when the incoming correspondence requests that this be done or the person in the congressional office is interested in, has called about, or has signed the request for the Member of Congress.
Table 5.1. SENATE
Table 5.2. HOUSE