FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Do you carry Joint Staff or other U.S. Military service publications (i.e. Army, Navy, Air Force)?
Please refer to our list of other agency weblinks.
- Where is the DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000.14-R (FMR)?
The FMR is not hosted on the DoD Issuance Website, but you can find the FMR at this website http://www.defenselink.mil/comptroller/fmr/.
- How can I look up current or cancelled issuances?
Try using our current issuance search function or searching our cancelled issuance database.
- Can I get a copy of a cancelled issuance?
If it has been cancelled, it is no longer available.
- Can I get a word version of an issuance?
Only the PDF's that are currently on the site are available.
- What are the differences between each of the DoD Issuances?
A quick reference is DoD Issuances Defined: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/writing/DoD_Issuances.ppt .
The official source for issuance definitions is DoDI 5025.01, "DoD Directives Program" located here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/502501p.pdf. The Glossary section defines issuance types.
- How do I subscribe / unsubscribe from the weekly issuance updates?
Go to the "What's New" page, scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions.
- Where can I get information, obtain copies or ask questions about forms?
Please see our list of form related websites. Form related questions should be directed to the Forms Webmaster.
- Can I view an issuance while it is in draft stage?
Issuances can only be viewed after they have been published and are available to the public on the website.
- Can I have physical copies of a current issuance mailed to me?
DoD Directives and other issuances are no longer printed and mailed. The issuances found on the DoD Issuance Website can be downloaded digitally and printed by the user.
- Why do some DoD issuances contain red digits?
Items in red are changes and/or updates.
- What does the "E" stand for at the end of some issuances?
The "E" indicates that this issuance establishes a DoD Executive Agent.
- Why are some directives shown with a single digit after the period - without the "0" in front of it, e.g., 5000.1 - and some are shown with a leading "0" after the period, e.g., 5000.01?
Our editors began adding the "0" in 2005 for consistency. Some issuances used ".1" and some used ".01". The issuances are supposed to use a 2-digit extension; the single digits should be "0#." As the older issuances using the single digit are reissued, the number is corrected.
- Is there an instruction on numbering of directives and instructions to indicate overall subject matter? i.e.-- engineering or contracting or logisitcs would be assigned in a series like 5000.01 for acquisition?
Here is information about the DoD Issuance Numbering System.
- Is there a SIPRnet version of this website? The SIPR equivalent of this website can be found at http://www.dtic.smil.mil/whs/directives.
- Why do issuances with changes have red ink? Is there a final version with changes incorporated?
The version currently online is the final version. As of 6/15/2012, new DoD issuances with changes will no longer be highlighted in red.