DoD Issuances Program
- The DoD Issuances Program processes the documents that establish and implement DoD policy, called "DoD issuances." It:
- Makes sure that the DoD issuances (directives, instructions, manuals, directive-type memorandums, and administrative instructions) properly codify DoD policies, assignment of responsibilities, delegations of authority, and procedures to implement federal law, Executive orders, and Presidential directives.
- Establishes and implements DoD policy for the preparation, coordination, approval, and publication of DoD issuances.
- Makes sure that the records of all DoD issuances are preserved in accordance with DoD policy.
- Maintains the DoD Issuances Website, the only officially approved site for the publication of DoD issuances and Secretary's policy memorandums.
DoD Information Collections Program
- The DoD Information Collections Program oversees the management, control, and tracking of both DoD-Internal and public information collections. The Program:
- Assigns Report Control Symbol (RCS) licenses for DoD-internal information collections, and serves as liaison to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for OMB’s review and approval of information collections involving members of the public.
- Tracks upcoming expiration dates for information collections and disseminates that information to the DoD/OSD Information Management Control Officers (IMCOs).
- Ensures the DoD-internal information collections approval process is coordinated with the appropriate components and costed IAW Secretary of Defense efficiencies guidance to prevent DoD resources being expended on redundant and obsolete requirements.
- Publishes and maintains guidance regarding the use of, cost-benefit analysis of, and sunset provisions for, information collection requirements.
- Submits all required documents to OMB for information collection packages that include public respondents.
- Maintains DoDI 8910.01, “Information Collection and Reporting” and its associated manuals, DoDM 8910.01, Volume 1, “Procedures for DoD Internal Information Collections” and DODM 8910.01, Volume 2, “Procedures for DoD Public Information Collections.”
- Hosts a searchable central repository for DoD-Internal information collections.
- Provides training to Information Management Control Officers, Action Officers, and other stakeholders on the requirements and processes for submitting information collection packages for review and approval.
- Reviews all DoD issuances for information collection requirements.
The DoD Forms Management Program
- The DoD Forms Management Program manages the program policy and procedures for the creation, coordination, control, revision, cancellation, and approval of forms within the DoD. It:
- Ensures forms collect essential information to accomplish a mission and necessary for the efficient and economical operation of the DoD.
- Applies procedures to all media, to include automated, electronic or paper.
- Ensures compliance with policy, to include the Privacy Act, the Paperwork Reduction Act, the Government Paperwork Elimination Act, the Electronic and Information Technology Accessibility Standards.
- Applies to approving exceptions to existing forms, including Standard and Optional Forms.
- Serves as DoD Liaison for Standard and Optional Forms.
DoD Plain Language Program
- The DoD Plain Language Program implements the Plain Writing Act of 2010 to improve DoD efficiency by improving communications. The DoD Plain Language Website, maintained by the Directives Division, helps the Department of Defense speak clearly by providing guidance on how to write simply, clearly, and effectively. In addition, the Directives Division:
- Develops DoD policy on plain language.
- Monitors and reports to the public on DoD implementation and compliance via annual reports on the Plain Language Website.
- Develops and oversees DoD training programs.
- Solicits and responds to public inquiries concerning DoD implementation of the Plain Writing Act.