The Directives Division administers and
operates the DoD Issuances Program, the DoD Internal Information Collections Program, and the DoD Plain Language Program for the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
- The DoD Issuances Program processes the documents that establish and implement DoD policy, called "DoD issuances." It:
- Makes sure that the DoD issuances (Directives, Instructions, Manuals, Directive-Type Memorandums, and Administrative Instructions) properly codify DoD policies, assignment of responsibilities, delegations of authority, and procedures to implement Federal law, Executive orders, and Presidential Directives.
- Establishes and implements DoD policy for the preparation, coordination, signature, and publication of DoD issuances.
- Makes sure that the records of all DoD issuances are preserved in accordance with DoD policy.
- Maintains the DoD Issuances Website, the only officially approved site for the publication of DoD issuances and Secretary's policy memorandums.
- The DoD Internal Information Collections Program - Oversee management, control, licensing, and tracking of all DoD internally-generated reports
- Ensure internal information collections approval process is coordinated with the appropriate components and costed IAW Secretary of Defense efficiencies guidance
- Oversee the management, control, licensing, and tracking of all DoD internally-generated information collections to prevent DoD resources being expended on redundant and obsolete requirements
- Publish and maintain guidance regarding the use of, cost-benefit analysis of, and establish sunset provisions for, report requirements
- Develop, implement, and administer a searchable central repository for DoD internally-generated information collections to ensure they are established, generated, searchable, and preserved through a web-based environment
- The DoD Plain Language Program implements the Plain Writing Act of 2010 to improve DoD efficiency by improving communications. The DoD Plain Language Website, maintained by the Directives Division, helps the Department of Defense "speak clearly" by providing guidance on how to write simply, clearly, and effectively. In addition, the Directives Division is working to:
- Develop DoD policy on plain language.
- Monitor and report on DoD implementation and compliance.
- Develop and oversee DoD training programs.
- Solicit and respond to public inquiries concerning the Plain Writing Act.