DTIC® Training Descriptions
The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) provides free training to registered DTIC users at its Fort Belvoir, Virginia headquarters and by webinars (DTIC Search, DoDTechipedia and DoDTechSpace) hosted via DCO (Defense Connect Online). Additionally, customized and on-site courses can be provided outside the DC metro area upon request if travel expenses are paid by the hosting organization.
The training curriculum includes instruction for DTIC’s access controlled products available in the R&E Gateway (DTIC Search, DoDTechipedia, and DoDTechSpace) and for the DoD Scientific and Technical Information (STINFO) program manager and marking documents for distribution.
Note: DTIC offers monthly webinars via the Defense Connect Online (DCO) to reach customers outside the Washington DC area. All webinars are Eastern Time.
See the training schedule and registration for the following courses:
DTIC Boot Camp: S&T Resources for the DoD Community
- DTIC Boot Camp is a one-day, interactive workshop for customers to learn how to maximize DTIC's suite of products to meet their information needs. Students will learn the functionality and content of the online information resources available through the R&E Gateway, DTIC's system for accessing controlled, unclassified information (CUI). Instructors will identify the content of significant collections and provide practical tips for searching and retrieving relevant information from DTIC's science and technology (S&T) collections using DTIC Search. The training also features the benefits and use of DTIC's collaborative, information sharing, and professional networking tools, DoDTechSpace and DoDTechipedia.
- DTIC Boot Camp attendees must be registered DTIC users to access all access controlled sites. See DTIC Registration for details.
- DTIC Boot Camp is conducted at DTIC Headquarters, located in the Andrew T. McNamara Headquarters Complex (HQC) at Ft. Belvoir, VA. If all attendees are from the same organization, customized training modules can be developed relevant to that group's specific requirements, or additional courses of varying lengths can be added to provide tailored instruction. Instruction at the user’s site can also be arranged if the requesting organization assumes the instructor's travel expenses.
- This one-hour virtual session via DCO (Defense Connect Online) features DoD's S&T wiki, sporting a new look and improved functionality. Learn the methodology to contribute to the wiki using these functions: edit/add to existing wiki pages, add a new wiki page, add attachments; and create hyperlinks. Learn how to be aware of continuously updated content in interest areas for your organization and how to collaborate using these features: share, watch, comment, my favorites, and personal space.
- This one-hour virtual introduction via Defense Connect Online (DCO) teaches how to engage in dialogue, create content, coordinate projects and connect with colleagues in DTIC's newest collaborative environment. DoDTechSpace is a planning tool where users can coordinate, discuss, consolidate and track project data. This training session provides the opportunity to learn how to create groups and share information in a secure space.
DTIC Search Webinar
- This 90-minute virtual training via DCO (Defense Connect Online) focuses on DTIC's access controlled search of S&T collections. Learn how to search documents (technical reports), projects (research project summaries) and content from DoDTechSpace for documents, blogs, discussions, people, spaces and groups. Features include: Refine Search, Content Types, Fielded Searching, DoD Research and Community Tabs, My Research for Saved/Scheduled Searches and Saved Hits.
DoD STINFO Program Manager
- The DoD STINFO Manager Training Program increases attendees' knowledge of the DoD STINFO program, provides instruction for the management and conduct of an organizational STINFO program, and facilitates more direct information exchange among those who oversee scientific and technical information programs (STIP). The Basic STINFO Manager Training Program course is three days, but selected modules can be taught in one- or two-day sessions.
STINFO Manager Overview
- A one-day overview of the most significant material covered in the three-day class, this is intended as a refresher for experienced STINFO personnel or as an introduction for those new to the field.