Family Events and Schedule Information
The Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO) conducts periodic updates and annual government briefings for families of American servicemembers who are missing in action. These events are designed to keep family members informed of the U.S. government's worldwide mission to account for those still missing and to discuss in detail the latest information available about their specific cases.
At the annual and monthly update meetings, speakers include senior officials, experts, and scientists who work in the wide range of tasks associated with the POW/MIA mission. During the meetings, there are formal presentations, question and answer sessions and one-one-one discussions between government officials and family members.
DPMO has conducted these update programs since 1995, reaching more than 17,000 family members face-to-face.
Up to eight times a year, government officials meet with MIA family members who live within a 350-mile radius of major metropolitan areas across the country. These meetings are designed to address the individual needs of the family members while bringing information to their communities. Government officials also meet one-on-one with family members to discuss the details of each of their cases. About 150-200 family members and 30 government officials attend each meeting.
Two briefings are held annually in the Washington D.C. area. One is for Vietnam War families and the other is for Korean and Cold War families. The location of these events makes it possible for senior government officials to attend and for families to access Washington-based offices related to POW/MIA matters. At these briefings, family members have the opportunity to meet with numerous civilian and military specialists of the government whose expertise includes: foreign government negotiation, formulation of national policy, remains recovery and identification, DNA science, archival research and intelligence analysis
Family Member Update Meeting Information
- DPMO's Basic Research Information for Family Members Page
- DPMO DASD Rememberance Brief - September 2013 (1.37MB)
- DPMO Policy Brief - September 2013 (2.24MB)
- DPMO NEA Brief - September 2013 (4.46MB)
- DPMO SEA Brief - September 2013 (976KB)
- DPMO WWII Brief - September 2013 (9.93MB)
- JPAC Recover ID Brief - September 2013 (7.11MB)
- JPAC Korea Brief - September 2013 (5.57MB)
- JPAC SEA Brief - September 2013 (883KB)
- JPAC WWII Brief - September 2013 (3.20MB)
- LSEL Brief - September 2013 (1.14MB)
- AFDIL Brief - September 2013 (13.0MB)
Vietnam War Annual Meeting Briefs
- AFDIL_Vietnam_Annual - June 2014 (765KB)
- JPAC Operational Observation and Insights - June 2014 (301KB)
- JPAC Fundamentals of Executing JFAs - June 2014 (1MB)
- JPAC Underwater Search and Recovery Process - June 2014 (1.11MB)
- JPAC J5 From Negotiations to Mission Accomplishment - June 2014 (713KB)
- LSEL Forensic Analysis of Information & Evidence - June 2014 (934KB)